The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is a central London borough is one of the wealthiest boroughs in England whose areas contain edwardian and victorian houses aswell as cottages. Kensington Chelsea is another popular area for chimney breast removals. One of our recent clients purchased an old town house in Kensington Chelsea which required complete remodelling and refurbishment. The property had an old chimney breast and chimney which had very little cosmetic appeal or practical use and our clients decided to remove the chimney breast and fit a new electric fireplace. The chimney breast itself was quite large and the space gained from removing it would dramatically increase the amount of useful space in the room.
The process of removing the chimney was as follows.
- We informed the Kensington and Chelsea councils building control departement in the form of a building notice.
- We then arranged for the hire of a single skip which was on the site on the morning of the first day. of work.
- We asked the client to move all the furniture out of the room. Not ony did this provide us with the space to work efficently but also meant that the furniture and belongings were protected from the dust.
- The first thing we do before starting any chimney breast removal work is to protect the walls, floors, hallways, stairs and furniture with dust sheets.
- The next step was remove the chimney stack from above the roof closing the roof with felt, battens and tiles making the roof weather=tight.
- We then proceeded by removing the chimney breast from the loft and the room below disposing of all the rubble and waste in the skip.
- We then closed the floor areas with joists and floor boards and the ceilings with timber and plaster boards.
- We then Plastered skims for the back walls and ceiling areas leaving the wall ready to be painted or wall papered. Our customer arranged for decorators to come in and finish after we’d completed our work.
- We had arranged for the building inspector to come and inspect the work on the last day that we were on site. The work was passed and the owner would have a certificate in the post.
The client then arranged for the electric fireplace supplier to fit the fire.
Call us on 020 8346 2254 to discuss your requirements or send us an enquiry using our enquiry form. You can also request a free quote using our free quote form.