Uxbridge is one of our most popular areas for chimney breast removals. The suburb of Uxbridge contain a mixture of housing including converted victorian flats, victorian and edwardian terraces and 1930s semi-detached houses. In this partcular property, the client had chimney breasts on both the ground and first floors, however only wanted to remove the chimney breast from the first floor.
The solution here was to remove the chimney breast from 1 upstairs bedrooms and fit 1 pair of gallows brackets support in the loft. As the clients were living in the property at the time and the bedrooms was being occupied by the clients daugher, the room had to be vacated for 3 days in order for the work to be done. In all, the process included the following steps:
- Arrange for the hire of a single skip which was on the site on the morning of the first day of work.
- We asked the client to move all the furniture out of the room. Not ony did this provide us with the space to work efficently but also meant that the furniture was away from the belongings.
- The first thing we do before starting any chimney breast removal work is to protect the walls, floors, hallways, stairs and furniture with dust sheets.
- The next step was remove the chimney breast from the bedroom taking care to minimise the dirt and dust from escaping to other areas of the house.
- Having removed the chimney breast and cleared all the bricks and dust into the skip, the next step is to support the remaining chimney breasts and chimney stack in the loft with 1 pair of gallows brackets.
- gallows brackets with concrete lintels were fitted under the chimney breast in the loft supporting the chimney stack above.
- We then closed the floor areas with joists and boards and the ceilings with timber and plaster boards.
- We then Plastered skims for the back walls and ceiling areas leaving the wall ready to be painted or wall papered. Our customer arranged for decorators to come in and finish after we’d completed our work.
- We then fit matching skirting boards on the wall leaving the wall in a state leaving no evidence of a chimney breast being previously there.
- We had arranged for the building inspector to come and inspect the work on the last day that we were on site. The work was passed and the owner would have a certificate from the council in the post.
We have carried out chimney breast removals in brampton road, Perivale Grange, Glebe Avenue, Bideford Road, Castle Avenue, Greenford Gardens, Rockford Avenue, rugby avenue, Weald Road, Melville Avenue.
Call us on 020 8346 2254 to discuss your requirements or send us an enquiry using our enquiry form. You can also request a free quote using our free quote form.